CLTA established this scholarship to honor Mary DuFort, who served as coordinator of language education in Alameda County. Mrs. DuFort’s contributions to the profession were cut short by her untimely death. It is currently the Memorial Scholarship honoring all our departed colleagues who have had a tremendous impact on our lives, our profession, and the students we touch daily. The scholarship provides financial support to enable one or more members to travel abroad for the purpose of improving their competency and skills in language teaching and augmenting their knowledge of culture and language through travel and/or formal study. Applicants decide on their own study plans, school/program, destination and make their own travel arrangements. Scholarships consist of grants up to $1,000.00. This scholarship is funded through the generous contributions of CLTA members.
Items 1-6 need to be ready to upload when filling out the online form. Items 7 & 8 are provided in the online form.
1. evidence that the nominee is a member of CLTA. Get email confirmation from email@example.com (cc firstname.lastname@example.org on all correspondence).
2. applicant lives in California or teaches in California (email confirmation from membership@clta)
3. letter written by applicant describing: 1) motivation for applying for this scholarship, 2) how the scholarship will help the applicant to improve his/her teaching skills, and 3) projected impact on the applicants’s students and classroom activities
4. brief professional resumé/CV
5. evidence that the applicant is currently employed as a teacher of world language other than English
6. a recent photograph of applicant (one copy suitable for display)
7. three letters of recommendation (give a copy of the check list and rubric to those writing recommendation letters)
8. willing to submit a written report for the CLTA newsletter or present a session at CLTA’s Annual Conference next year
9. have not been a recipient of this scholarship in the previous four years
Online Nomination form can be found here: Application/Nomination Form