LangAbroD grants are used to defray travel expenses for members who wish to improve their fluency in the language they teach by visiting a country where that language is spoken.
The LangAbroad is a stand-alone grant.
Applicants for LangAbroD Grants may also apply for one of the government grants.
The LangAbroD is funded from the CLTA general fund. This year’s level of support has not yet been determined.
CLTA encourages teachers who apply for travel/study grants to apply for LangAbroD grants simultaneously.
Scholarship winners are not eligible for LangAbroD grants.
- Evidence that the nominee is a member of CLTA. Get email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org (cc email@example.com on all correspondence)..
- Applicant lives in California or teaches in California (email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Letter written by applicant describing: 1) motivation for applying for this scholarship, 2) how the scholarship will help the applicant to improve his/her teaching skills, and 3) projected impact on the applicants’ students and classroom activities
- Brief professional resumé/CV
- Evidence that the applicant is currently employed as a teacher of world language other than English
- A recent photograph of applicant (one copy suitable for display)
- Three letters of recommendation (give a copy of the check list and rubric to those writing recommendation letters)
- Willing to submit a written report for the CLTA newsletter or present a session at CLTA’s Annual Conference next year
- Have not been a recipient of this grant in the previous four years
When you have all the above information ready, click on Application to go to the online application form.