In the past CLTA has offered as many as six LangAbroD grants of up to $500 each (subject
to change) to be used to defray travel expenses for members who wish to improve their
fluency in the language they teach by visiting a country where that language is spoken.
This year’s level of support has not yet been determined. The LangAbroad is a stand-alone
grant or applicants for LangAbroD Grants may also apply for one of the government grants.
The LangAbroD is funded from the CLTA general fund and direct donations.
from the current fiscal year. CLTA encourages teachers who apply for travel grants to
apply for LangAbroD grants simultaneously.
1. evidence that the applicant has been a member of CLTA for 2 years, current and preceding years. Get email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. applicant lives in California or teaches in California (email confirmation from email@example.com)
3. letter written by applicant describing: 1) motivation for applying for this scholarship, 2) how the scholarship will help the applicant to improve his/her teaching skills, and 3) projected impact on the applicants’s students and classroom activities
4. brief professional resumé/CV
5. evidence that the applicant is currently employed as a teacher of world language other than English
6. a recent photograph of applicant (one copy suitable for display)
7. three letters of recommendation (give a copy of the check list and rubric to those writing recommendation letters)
8. willing to submit a written report for the CLTA newsletter or present a report to the membership at CLTA’s Annual Conference next year
9. have not been a recipient of this grant in the previous four years
When you have all the above information ready, click on Application to go to the online application form.