This grant is being reinstated for CLTA this year (Summer 2018).
The Cemanahuac Educational Community has, for many years, offered scholarships to teachers via national, regional and several state language education organizations, including CLTA. 2018 will be the 19th year of the scholarship program. A special workshop is given for language teachers, July 7-24, 2018 and is a good time to enjoy interaction with other teachers from around the United States. However, it is not necessary that the recipient come at the time of this workshop; he or she can attend at any convenient time in 2018.
The emphasis at Cemanahuac is on improvement of Spanish language ability. The program also includes information about the rich culture and history of Mexico.
The dollar value of this award in 2018 is $1153.00, and includes
• tuition for two weeks
• housing (double occupancy)
• all meals
Other expenses, which the recipient would have to cover on his/her own are:
• transfer to Cuernavaca (about $16 US each way)
• a textbook ($45)
• cultural field study trips
• personal expenses
The Education Community has several important guidelines for CLTA as this scholarship is awarded:
• preference may be given to a teacher who has had less opportunity to travel before
• preference may be given to a teacher who will make the very best use of this opportunity to share the knowledge gained in his or her classroom
• preference may be given to a teacher who has a need to improve fluency
These are the requirements that we would intend to post on our website and on which applicants will be evaluated to choose the most worthy candidate. We have used a template that we use for foundation and government grants, but have made changes to reflect your requests as well.
Requirements: Items 1-6 need to be ready to upload when filling out the online form.
1. evidence that the applicant has been a member of CLTA for 2 years, current and preceding years. Get email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. applicant lives in California or teaches in California (email confirmation from membership@clta)
3. letter written by applicant describing:
a) motivation for applying for this scholarship
b) how the scholarship will help the applicant to improve his/her language skills
b) how the scholarship will help the applicant to improve his/her teaching skills
c) projected impact on the applicant’s students and classroom activities
4. brief professional resumé/CV
5. evidence that the applicant is currently employed as a teacher of world language other than English
6. a recent photograph of applicant (one copy suitable for display)
7. three letters of recommendation (give a copy of the check list and rubric to those writing recommendation letters)
8. willing to submit a written report for the CLTA newsletter or present a report to the membership at CLTA’s Annual Conference next year
9. have not been a recipient of this grant in the previous four years
When you have all the above information ready, click on Application to go to the online application form.
Email Tanya at email@example.com for questions or more information.