Important July Dates:
- July 14-19
Summer Seminar 2017 in Santa Barbara is just around the corner, July 14-19!
Register online now for 2017 Summer Seminar.
Already Registered and you want to pay? Click on the link: Pay for Summer Seminar 2017
Know a University student who is thinking about teaching a world language? Use the Summer Seminar Student Strand Nominator’s Packet to nominate him/her. He/She can download the Student Application to find out more about the program.
View the Student Strand page here.
Important August Dates:
August 10 – 12, 2017
Third Annual Program Design Institute (PDI)
Charlotte, North Carolina
The 2.5-day institute aims to enhance the long-term effectiveness of community organizations and their heritage language learning programs through training sessions around four main pillars: Recruiting/Developing Effective Teachers, Program Growth, Best Practices, Measuring Progress.
We are looking for New Teams to join us for 2017. Teams must be:
* With community-based organizations serving mostly heritage and/or native speakers of one or more STARTALK critical languages at any level, at any grade(s) K-12
* Teaching STARTALK Critical languages, which is one of these less commonly taught languages: Arabic, Chinese, Dari, Hindi, Korean, Persian, Farsi, Portuguese, Swahili, Russian, Turkish, and Urdu. Unfortunately, no other language programs can be accommodated through this STARTALK grant.
* Seeking the opportunity to extend the length of the learning program from a weekend or summer program to a year-round language program.
* A group of 2-4 people, no exceptions (preferably an administrator and a teacher)
* A program that has hosted a STARTALK summer language program within the last four years (preferred, but not required)
Lodging, meals, and institute related costs for participants are covered by our STARTALK grant for accepted participants.
To find out more or to apply, please visit our website: https://www.actfl.org/assessment-professional-development/startalk-program-design-institute/
August 19 – 20, 2017
Academia Foundation (www.academiafoundation.org) – MECA (Multicultural Education Conference in Anaheim). This multicultural, education-focused conference is free to attend at the Anaheim Convention Center. The conference will feature presentations from some of the world’s leading linguists as well as intercultural communication experts. We also invite teachers to give presentations in any of the following themes:
- bilingual education
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- intercultural communications
- school leadership and classroom strategies
- international film and culture
- initiatives for peace and sustainability
Key speakers will include Dr. David Nunan and Dr. Kathleen Bailey: world renowned linguists in the field of TESOL. REGISTER TODAY! One-minute online registration: There is no charge to attend. Registration form must be completed for each attendee. To register, please fill out the form from here. http://www.academiafoundation.org/register/#topreg If you are interested in presenting at MECA: Teachers interested in presenting at MECA can visit the website for instructions in how to submit their materials. The deadline to apply is June 16, 2017. Please visit www.academiafoundation.org for more information and to register for MECA. We look forward to seeing you in August!
To view California Language Teachers’ Association’s entire monthly calendar of important professional development events click here.
If you would like to submit your professional development events please send the information to Barbara Bowden, Webmaster at email@example.com.
Be sure to include the following information:
- Date of event
- Name of event
- If you have additional information on the event, send a PDF with the information (we will link this PDF to the event).