The French Government Grants are offered by the French Cultural Services
Offices in San Francisco and in Los Angeles. The grant enables the recipient during
the summer to attend a seminar (stage) at various centers for approximately 3 weeks
during the month of July. It includes tuition and training for three weeks, a round
trip train ticket from Paris to the destination city, and a portion the cost of
food, lodging. Cost of transportation to and from France is the responsibility of
the recipient. Applicants for this grant may also apply for CLTA’s LangAbroad Grant
for a travel stipend. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residence and
must be currently employed to teacher French language and/or French culture in
grades K-12. In the past, two grants have been conferred, one for a teacher in
northern California and one for a teacher in southern California.
For more information about the grant, click here: http://frenchlanguage.
1. evidence that the applicant has been a member of CLTA for 2 years, current and preceding years. Get email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. applicant lives in California or teaches in California (email confirmation from membership@clta)
3. letter written by applicant describing: 1) motivation for applying for this scholarship, 2) how the scholarship will help the applicant to improve his/her teaching skills, and 3) projected impact on the applicants’s students and classroom activities
4. brief professional resumé/CV
5. evidence that the applicant is currently employed as a teacher of world language other than English
6. a recent photograph of applicant (one copy suitable for display)
7. three letters of recommendation (give a copy of the check list and rubric to those writing recommendation letters)
8. willing to submit a written report for the CLTA newsletter or present a report to the membership at CLTA’s Annual Conference next year
9. have not been a recipient of this grant in the previous four years
When you have all the above information ready, click on Application to go to the online application form.